What the Heck is going on?
Disclaimer: Heck.house has not obtained a business license yet. The location is zoned R-75 (single-family residential) with an overlay Tier 1. In order to change the usage from residential to commercial, we have to arrange for an off-site parking lot agreement with a nearby business. (Clarification: This is not a rezoning situation because of the overlay.) Once the property is classified as commercial, we can go through the steps of obtaining a business license. In the interim period, Paula Novelle, who lives on site, is still active with small private events that are limited in size to prevent parking issues and use a decibel meter to manage noise levels. All events are free and require participants to rsvp/sign up. Any donations collected during events are often shared with the artists/organizations involved and reported as required by 501(c)(3) status. We are a grassroots, arts advocacy organization with many neighbors actively involved and welcome feedback from the community.
- Sat, Dec 16Town Green Park Avondale EstatesDec 16, 2023, 10:00 AM – 5:00 PMTown Green Park Avondale Estates , 64 N Avondale Rd, Avondale Estates, GA 30002, USA
- Sun, Dec 03Heck.houseDec 03, 2023, 6:30 PM – 9:00 PMHeck.house, 3498 E Ponce de Leon Ave, (driveway on Milton St.), 3492 E Ponce de Leon Ave, Scottdale, GA 30079, USA
- Fri, Nov 17Little 5 Corner TavernNov 17, 2023, 7:00 PM – 10:00 PMLittle 5 Corner Tavern, 1174 Euclid Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30307, USA
- Sun, Nov 05ScottdaleNov 05, 2023, 2:00 PM – 5:00 PMScottdale, 3498 E Ponce de Leon Ave, (driveway on Milton St.), 3492 E Ponce de Leon Ave, Scottdale, GA 30079, USANov 05, 2023, 2:00 PM – 5:00 PMScottdale, 3498 E Ponce de Leon Ave, (driveway on Milton St.), 3492 E Ponce de Leon Ave, Scottdale, GA 30079, USAThis free clinic is staffed with local herbalists. Visitors sit with one of the herbalists for about 20 minutes so that the herbalist can help the visitor get the herbal support they need.
- Wed, Oct 25ScottdaleOct 25, 2023, 6:00 PM – Oct 27, 2023, 8:00 PMScottdale, 3498 E Ponce de Leon Ave, (driveway on Milton St.), 3492 E Ponce de Leon Ave, Scottdale, GA 30079, USA
- Sat, Oct 14ScottdaleOct 14, 2023, 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM
- Fri, Oct 13ScottdaleOct 13, 2023, 8:00 PM – 10:00 PM
- Sun, Oct 08Heck.houseOct 08, 2023, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PMHeck.house, 3498 E Ponce de Leon Ave, (driveway on Milton St.), 3492 E Ponce de Leon Ave, Scottdale, GA 30079, USA
- Sat, Oct 07Heck.houseOct 07, 2023, 1:00 PM – 3:00 PMHeck.house, 3498 E Ponce de Leon Ave, (driveway on Milton St.), 3492 E Ponce de Leon Ave, Scottdale, GA 30079, USA
- Sat, Sep 30ScottdaleSep 30, 2023, 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM
- Fri, Sep 22ScottdaleSep 22, 2023, 2:00 PM – 4:00 PMSep 22, 2023, 2:00 PM – 4:00 PMHalloween is coming and we need to get creepy! This Friday, 2-4pm we're having a meetup to discuss what outside decorations and activities to do for Halloween.
- Wed, Sep 13ScottdaleSep 13, 2023, 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM
- Wed, Sep 13ScottdaleSep 13, 2023, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Sun, Aug 13ScottdaleAug 13, 2023, 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
- Fri, Jul 21ScottdaleJul 21, 2023, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM
- Wed, Jul 12ScottdaleJul 12, 2023, 6:00 PM – 8:00 PMScottdale, 3498 E Ponce de Leon Ave, (driveway on Milton St.), Scottdale, GA 30079, USA
- Sun, Jun 25ScottdaleJun 25, 2023, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Sat, Jun 17ScottdaleJun 17, 2023, 6:00 PM – 8:00 PMScottdale, 3498 E Ponce de Leon Ave, (driveway on Milton St.), Scottdale, GA 30079, USA
Update (posted Aug 11, 2022)
Events postponed notice:
Dekalb County Code Compliance Administration (code enforcement) insists that we refrain from having events until we complete the application process of obtaining a business license and meet code compliance requirements from Dekalb C county. Heck.house is located at 3498 E Ponce de Leon Ave, Scottdale, GA in a R-75 zone with a Tier 1 overlay, which allows for commercial use, including events. We are on the edge of a residential area next to an auto shop and Family Dollar with the train tracks across the street.
Because the attendance at most of our events only average 20-40 people, we attempted to find out if we could have private events as a private residence and be in compliance. Last night (June 29th) via emails, the Deputy Director of DeKalb County Code Compliance basically gave us a hard no.
We are flooded with event requests from various artists and organizations and receive overwhelming support and involvement from our neighbors. One factor to why Heck.house gets so many requests has to do with the challenges of COVID. People feel safer with small, outdoor gatherings.
Our understanding is that there is a neighbor that has never contacted Heck.house directly, but has made several complaints to Commissioner Steve Bradshaw’s office. Heck.house aspires to fulfill its mission to serve the needs of the community, and respect the community it is in. When we have directly received a few complaints over the three years about noise and parking, we’ve responded immediately to address those concerns. In consideration of our neighbors, we wanted to let you know that we have set the following policies:
To stop amplified sound before 10 p.m. every night (11 p.m. cut off is required by County ordinance)
To turn down the volume immediately when a complaint is made
To only allow parking on one side of Milton Street and to NOT block driveways
To cap maximum attendance at 100 people (average attendance is 20-40 people)
To allow a maximum of 8 events a month, of which only 4 will be concerts (we started this policy 6+ months ago in response to numerous requests for concerts)
We are unsure when we will complete the process to get all the required licenses & permits. Until then, we will refrain from having events until we have them in place. We hope this problem can be resolved soon, and we will keep you posted. We are heartbroken to have to postpone the upcoming events and sorry about the inconvenience. We know these artists put a lot of time and effort into preparing for these events.
In the meantime, we plan to be active with repurposed art projects to “art up” Heck.house and stay active building our artistic community.
tl;dr (too long; didn’t read): We’re having to postpone all events until we get the go-ahead from the Dekalb County government.
Please email Paula at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions or concerns.
On August 9th, a Zoom meeting with various Dekalb County staff confirmed that Heck.house needs to re-apply to change the usage of the property from residential to commercial, and we need professional guidance. We are located in Scottdale Overlay tier 1. We are seeking to hire a professional designer, an architect or similar that is familiar with commercial codes in Dekalb County. We will need a site plan for the application that includes drawing up plans for our proposed Pavilion expansion project. Please send recommendations to us.
Email Paula at email@example.com